Building & Construction Office

Borough of Rumson, Fair Haven, & Little Silver

Office Hours: Monday-Friday   •   8:00am-4:00pm   •   (732) 842-3022

Nicholas A. Fabiano
Construction Official
Building Inspector and Electrical Subcode Official
Lynda Doyle
Senior Technical Assistant
Sabine O'Connor
Technical Assistant
Frederick Corcione
Building Subcode Official
James Ammaturo
Plumbing Subcode Official
Plumbing Inspector
Scott Melski
Fire Subcode Official
Elizabeth Sweeney
Fire Official/Smoke Alarm Fire Inspector

The Building and Construction Department enforces the New Jersey State Uniform Building Code and our local building and zoning codes.

Smoke Detector Recall

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website (CPSC Recall - Kidde), Kidde has issued a recall of approximately 262,000 TruSense Smoke and Combination Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Alarms. Click here to download details.

Construction Hours
Important Construction Documents (PDFs)

“Fillable” Construction Permit Applications & Related DCA Documents

Before any construction or remodeling begins, an application must be made for a building permit. If you are contemplating doing any of the following work please call the Building and Construction Office first:

  • New Building/additions/renovations
  • Demolitions
  • Electrical and plumbing work
  • Boiler and furnace replacement
  • Window replacement, when changing the size or type
  • Oil tank removal
  • Re-roofing
  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Signs
  • Miscellaneous residential construction such as siding, pools, decks, patios, driveways and such.

All permits must be obtained before work is started except for emergency replacement of furnaces, boilers and water heaters. The Building Department must be notified of the replacement at the time of installation and a permit obtained within 5 days.

There is certain construction work that can be done without a permit such as laying floor tiles, painting, replacing same size windows and doors, repaving the driveway with the same material and retaining the same size. If you are in doubt, please call the Building Department at 732-842-3022

The Permit Process
  1. Visit or call your Code Officer. Your first step should be a visit to the Building and Construction office. Explain your intentions and he/she will explain the requirements (codes and ordinances) regarding your project. This visit will help you avoid potential problems that could cost you time and money.
  2. Submit your application. You will be asked to document who will perform the work and what, when and how the work is done. You will have to submit plans for review. You must also pay the appropriate permit fees.
  3. Receive results of the review process. If your application complies with code and other regulations, the application is approved and a permit is issued. If your application is denied you can correct the Code violations, or appeal the decision.
  4. Receive permit. The permit is the document granting you and/or your contractor permission to start work. You must proceed as approved pursuant to the permit. Inspections needed will be listed on the permit. You must post the permit in a window or other prominent location at the construction site, keep a copy of the approved plans at the site, and bring any proposed changed to the attention of the Code Officer immediately. Changes will require a review and approval in the same manner as the original plans.
  5. Arrange inspections. Each major phase of the construction process requires an inspection to make sure it complies to the appropriate code, the approved plans and the building permit. You must call the Building Department (732-842-3022) to arrange for the inspections. Please give at least 24 hour notice.
Understanding Zoning

Some permits which require changes to the exterior of your property such as fences, pools, decks, tennis courts, additions, driveways, sheds, etc. will require review by the Zoning Officer. If your project requires zoning review and approval, you must apply for a ZONING PERMIT and pay the appropriate fee. Please bring a copy of your property survey so that the Zoning Officer can review your project for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.

If you cannot comply with the Zoning Ordinance for any reason, you must obtain a variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment before you can begin your project.

Public Info
Municipal Court
Public Works

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Thomas S. Rogers, Municipal Clerk and Administrator, at

80 East River Road Rumson NJ 07760 TEL 732.842.3300
COPYRIGHT © Borough of Rumson, New Jersey

The content of is for general information purposes only and does not constitute advice. tries to provide content that is true and accurate as of the date of writing; however, we give no assurance or warranty regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or applicability of any of the contents. Visitors to should not act upon's content or information without first seeking appropriate professional advice. In addition, cannot be held responsible for the contents of any externally linked pages.